finditherefirst

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Mexicanadian

I am right now sitting in a very peaceful place. I just finished a wonderful session of yoga that has left me feeling enegetic and alive. The air here in Mexico (Queretaro not Mexico City) is clean and aromatic like nothing I have ever known. The climate is warm and comforting.

Sure, there is reason to be careful here. Both family and friends from Canada had expressed to me their concern with my travel to this country. But no more than in Ottawa, do I find reason to be fearful. I am quite upset about the stereotype Scary Mexican Vacation. This place is more beautiful than anywhere I have traveled, although it is my first visit outside of Canada or the US. Sure the weather is nice and the food is great, but its the people that I am enthralled with. Just like everywhere, there are poor people. Let me tell you right now that if there is any stigma for crime and violence down here it is soley because of the United States and Canada abusing these people so that we can wipe our own asses with 3ply toilet paper (figuratively). I have no fear at all, if I did, I would have reason to be scared. Just like anywhere. If you are a nice person, people will be nice to you. No one really has the ability to abandon the need to sustain ones own self. The people here are beautiful.

If the only difference between us all is the languages we speak, the borders we protect and the colours of our skin. Then we are all one because nothing short of fear is what makes those things seem so apart.

Peace
M@

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home